Search This Blog

Wednesday 28 January 2015

Book Bouncer Review: 'Looking For Alaska' by John Green

'Looking For Alaska' by John Green




What could be the consequences of befriending Alaska Young? Alaska Young, who was beautiful, with green eyes and a daredevil side. Alaska Young, who loved books as much as she loved drinking and smoking. Alaska Young, who was spontaneous, open but still so reserved and mysterious.

What could be the consequences of developing feelings for someone that was so close, but still out of your reach? That someone was Alaska Young, the girl who taught Miles Halter the true value of life and love.

I didn't enjoy reading Looking For Alaska. John Green has a great skill in writing books that make you question even the questions regarding life. But the only question that I had stuck in my mind was: "What have I just read?"

I don't know where to begin with all the problems I had with this book. I'll just start with what I liked about the book. As usual, with every John Green book I have read, there was the witty humor that was always entertaining. And then there was Miles, who's in-depth point of view really got to me, and made some sense in this book.

Now what I didn't like: Alaska Young. She acted double her age, and she kept feelings bottled in. I understand protagonists are usually caught up in internal and external conflicts, but Alaska seemed to be too consumed in herself in the first half of the book.

The second half was a total let down. The reasons behind what she did might have been crucial for the whole plot of the story to work out, but her decisions were rash and careless. For some of her choices, she took the easy way out to avoid what could have happened. It aggravated me.

If you choose something, acknowledge the advantages and disadvantages, and try to picture the path you'll have to walk on to get through the consequences. There are never any shortcuts; there are dirt roads and detours which seem like too-good-to-be-true solutions. It's either go the whole way or back out before it's too late.


Unfortunately, Alaska mistook a hazardous detour in the route for a shortcut. That just messed up the book for me, which was poignant because I was hoping Looking For Alaska would be a good read.

There is swearing in this book, so readers under thirteen should not read Looking For Alaska. Also, this book does have some intense scenes which do require a higher level of thinking and comprehending.

While I do admit that this book didn't exceed or even meet my expectations, it is a book that does pose for good discussion questions and give an outline of the results that come out of making decisions that are either well-thought out or quick and hasty.


No comments:

Post a Comment