Search This Blog

Wednesday 21 January 2015

Book Bouncer Review: 'Will Grayson, will grayson' by John Green and David Levithan

'Will Grayson, will grayson' by John Green and David Levithan




Meeting in a very peculiar way, two boys by the name of Will Grayson cross paths outside a store, and enter each other's lives. Who knew both could have such an impact on the other?

This was a collaboration between David Levithan and John Green. This was also the first book by David Levithan that I had ever read. It was unusual to read the chapters which he had written, because I was so used to John Green's work at the time that I was surfing through all the books he had written. There were noticeable differences between the two authors' writings to differentiate the one Will Grayson from the other.

For one, John Green wrote all the odd chapters on Will Grayson, whose story was written with capitalization. David Levithan, on the other hand, wrote the even chapters, and his character was lower case will grayson. Will Grayson was straight, and will grayson was not. I liked Will Grayson more than I liked Levithan's will grayson. The was due to the fact that his circumstances were not as easy to comprehend with, seeing as he was suffering from the crucial period he was going through. And John Green's Will Grayson also didn't quite cut it out for me. 

Will Grayson, Will Grayson was a unique read that I have mixed feelings for. While there was slight humor and well-written characters, I can't quite pinpoint the highlights of this book. There were mild jokes and romance, but nothing extreme that could make me recall this book as amazing. This book did not prove to be as extraordinary as I was hoping it to be.

John Green, as always, had created quite a character that was intelligent and - in my eyes - a bit too mature for his age. And David Levithan's will grayson seemed to appear too emotional and depressed.

I do not recommend this book to: people who are under the age of thirteen, and those who have a problem against homosexuals and same sex romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment